Last week a dear friend of mine celebrated her 81st birthday.
She stayed at my home for a few days and we enjoyed time together, a coffee outing, fun with the dogs and a trip to see the musical Mathilda, which was entertaining and inspiring.
She also joined my Monday Morning Meditation class bringing her unique energy, essence and presence to the grouping and sharing the wisdom and inspiration of the wise elder.
Indeed, she truly is a wise elder. Although her life has not been easy by any means, she has navigated it as best she could, whilst continually seeking a sense of purpose and meaning in her experience.
In that journey she has always chosen to grow and expand herself. In fact her favourite saying in her 70’s was “I am growing myself”.
For her there is no getting old sitting in front of the television set, bemoaning the passing of the “good ol’ days” and marking time whilst waiting to die. She still lives life to the full, seeking, exploring, investigating. In fact she studied Attunement (energy healing) and also became a meditation teacher in her 70’s.
This beautiful woman has been a support and inspiration to me with her energy and enthusiasm for living and growing.
From observing her journey over the last few years I have come to know the following things for sure:
- I am never too old and it is never too late to try something new.
- I can choose happiness even if life circumstances are challenging.
- There are no mistakes, just experiences. I welcome all my experiences and choose to grow from them.
- Life is to be lived. I choose to live fully and boldly.
- A solid spiritual foundation supports growth, peace and understanding. Although I have a body, mind and emotions I am not these. I am a Divine Being.
- There is always something new to discover about myself no matter my age.
- It is imperative to stay flexible and open and continue to challenge myself.
- I can be both a learner and a teacher throughout my life.
- I am a creator being. My creative ideas continue to flow until my last breath.
- I love and support others in their journey, based on a strong foundation of loving and supporting myself.
- I have a purpose for being on earth. That purpose can change and grow as I change and grow. It is not set in stone.
It doesn’t matter whether we are 20, 40, 60 or 81, these concepts are all still relevant.
Pick one of these statements – perhaps the one you least resonate with. Then spend time meditating, journaling and pondering the message for you. Ask yourself these questions in relation to the statement you have chosen:
Why am I resistant to this? What beliefs do I have that might not be accurate for me now? Have I taken on others’ ideas and beliefs? How can I easily embrace my truth?
Then consider someone in your life who has been an inspiration. What have they shown you or brought out in you to help create the person you are now?
May you have a week filled with blessing and insight.
From my heart to yours,